Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Lessons From the Farm Market

Gas prices continue to soar, food inflation is the highest it's been in two decades and perfectly good homes are sitting empty.  I imagine crime will increase dramatically before too long.  And all we can do is wait.

As I do about once a week, I stopped at one of our local farm markets yesterday to pick up some fresh veggies (and okay, some chocolate chip cookies).  The same guy works the counter almost every time I stop and we've gotten to know one another a bit.  I had heard through the small town grapevine that a farm market down the street (a dominant competitor) wouldn't be opening this year.  So I asked the guy if it was true and if he thought it would beef up his business.  His response was "I don't ever want to see bad times fall upon anyone."  

I'm such a softie that I bought an extra pound of bologna I didn't need.  

Times are going to get tough.  I've already started saving some extra pennies just in case.  And I think most people are doing the same--re-evaluating needs and wants, and pulling the things most important to them closer.  Maybe even creating a barricade around themselves.  But not this guy.  He's still thinking beyond himself.  And that's nice to know.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

.....wiping a tear from my eye. I guess it won't be so sweet when he starts stalking you and eventually figures out that he can't have you so in a fit of rage he dismembers you and grinds you up into baloney.....for the farm market.

Maureen said...

Wow--you have CPA and MBA after your name, and you can't even spell bologna?