Sunday, October 4, 2009

In Good Company


Meet my stapler. Meet my tape dispenser. And say hello to their primary function at my workstation over the past few weeks: propping up my almost-empty bottle of Bath and Body Works hand lotion. I'll admit it. I have a little problem. I'm a toothpaste tube roller, a hairspray bottle tilter and apparently, a body lotion up-ender. I've just got to get the last drop.

Earlier this week, I was sitting at my desk when out of nowhere, the site of this odd trio made me smile. I leaned back in my chair and thought: you probably did this too, right? Or at least something similar. Raising kids and working full-time. Cooking dinner every night, no questions asked. And learning to stretch a dollar as far as it would go.

Virginia.

Betty.

Grandma.

Mom.

Not cheap. Not frugal. Not thrifty. Responsible.

If it's broken, try to fix it before you replace it.

Expect to earn it, not to have it given to you.

Needs? Those come first. Wants? Well, save your pennies and pay cash.

Live within your means.

Use well what you already have.

And if the grocery store accidentally charges you .17 cents for a foil baking sheet that should cost $1.17, go back and get as many as you can without looking suspicious. Oh, Grandma.

So this is it. It's unofficially official. I've arrived and made it a trio. And I finally get it. It's not about spending or saving. It's not even necessarily about money. It's about appreciation, resourcefulness, discipline and setting a good example for those little eyes watching.

Yup, I got all of that out of an almost empty bottle of lotion propped up by a stapler and a tape dispenser. Whatever it takes. I'm in good company.

3 comments:

Frank said...

Well done sis...well done.

Netter said...

I do the same things. I hate that the soap dispenser will never dispense the last of the soap. Once it gets below the level of the squirter and I can't get anymore out I upend it into one of the other dispensers in the house to get the last of it out before throwing the bottle away.
A trait to be admired!

Anonymous said...

Two posts in October....

It has to be celebrated since you doubled your output for September.

Good on ya Mo. A 100% increase.

Can we expect three in November? Never mind, that's crazy talk.