Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Buzz Lightyear Is Killing Me

I wasn't prepared. Nope, it was just like any other normal day. I was driving along, perhaps humming a little tune to myself. Probably speeding or cursing the car in front of me. And all of a sudden, something caught my attention. I stopped and listened. This is what I heard:



Y'all, another state's tourism ad campaign made me cry. Not like sobbing or anything, but I had to blink back the tears. And you know what? The first chance I got, I went to puremichigan.org. Since then, I've become a little obsessed.

Through some quick research, I discovered that Tim Allen is the voice over talent, an agency called McCann Erickson created the campaign, the music is from the movie Cider House Rules and there are several radio and TV spots. I also found that the Pure Michigan website experienced an increase in traffic by almost 50%. This campaign is just that good. Phenomenally well-written and unlike any other tourism ads I've seen. Perhaps a bit overly sentimental at times, but I'll take that over flashy or tough any day of the week.

So what is it that makes these commercials successful? For me, it's that they remind me of my childhood and appeal to what I think is important in life--slowing down and enjoying it. What do you think? Below are a few of my other favorites:




1 comments:

Jim Brochowski said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head, and I love any post that props my home state.

Nicely done.