Tuesday, January 20, 2009

10 Things I Love...

...About Our Tuesday Night Bar Bowling League:


10. The fact that tonight, on our fourth week, I realized for the first time that it was called the Bar League. I pretty much thought it was just a regular old league. Noticing the other names on the results board like Wednesday Night Men's Competitive League and Thursday Night Kings and Queens League, I quickly came to the conclusion that we're the hooligans. So be it.

9. John's t-shirts. You don't know John. Heck, I barely know John, but I love his t-shirts. Each week, he treats us to something different. Tonight it was Yo Gabba Gabba. Last week it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What will next week bring? Personally, I can't wait.

8. That if P bowls a turkey (three strikes in a row), we get to see his turkey strut. It's magnificent.

7. The music. Where else can you hear the Zac Brown Band's "Chicken Fried" followed by T.I.'s "Whatever You Like"? And then hear both of them again within an hour.

6. My new-to-me pink bowling ball. I finally graduated to a 10-pounder and celebrated by having my initials engraved above the finger holes. Don't think I'm not legit!

5. Watching Ryan get better each week!

4. The team names. We're the Four Acres, which was the name of an old bar that caught fire and was destroyed in the town where P grew up. Other names include The Hillbillies, The Pour House and the Splitlickers. Just reinforcing our hooligan reputation.

3. The free practice. Sometimes the owner lets us stay late and bowl for free. We either amuse him, he likes us or he drinks too much on Tuesday nights. It's a toss-up.

2. The tight, tight blue jeans. I'm not talking about the ladies either. I'm fascinated by how some of these men manage to bowl. Yikes! With a little bit of ouch.

1. That tonight P announced "I don't know why, but at the bowling alley, the beer flows like wine." And he didn't even realize he pulled a Lloyd Christmas on us.

2 comments:

Jim Brochowski said...

I love the character of bowling.

Unfortunately I'm quite a character while bowling. I get very frustrated and throw things,usually my glasses, one time my shoe.

After one year in a bowling league, Netter called a halt to this activity. Now, if we go bowling with friends I have to promise to remain calm and temper my expectations.

Good to hear that for some the game is fun.

Love the list!

Still looking for you on Twitter. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have to say this might be the best post I've read yet. Not because I made your Top 5 but THE BEER IS FLOWING LIKE WINE. I literally rolled on the floor laughing my A&* off picturing P making that comment at the alley. Has he ever sipped on a glass of wine??? Still laughing....I am looking forward to Tuesday and what the unknown may bring. Definately one of P's "CLASSICS"...