Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gone Baby Gone

Earlier this year, one of the restaurants in my little town made the evening news by catching fire and temporarily shutting down one of the main state routes in Ohio. The restaurant, a BBQ joint with the best pizza in town (yes, you read that correctly), didn't burn to the ground but sustained enough damage to close. We wondered what would happen until a For Sale sign appeared under the word "FIRE" on the side of the building.

Months have gone by and nothing has happened. I thought we were destined to have an ugly, empty building to look at--and no more pizza at that! I was a bit surprised to drive by late last week and see half of the building missing, a dump truck in its place. I'm not sure if someone bought it and is planning to rebuild, but by the very next day, the building was gone. The only reminder it once stood there is a row of artifacts lined up against the back fence: a deep fryer, tables, chairs, bar stools, a kitchen sink.

Oh, and a mannequin. Yup. Pale skin, shiny black hair and a fierce hot pink strapless mini-dress.

I don't remember seeing this mannequin used in the restaurant for any purpose, so I'm at a loss for where she came from. All I know is that when I passed by later that night, she was gone. Still there were all the tables, chairs and bar stools. But that mannequin? Gone baby, gone. I should mention that this particular day was one of the coldest Ohio has had all year. It also snowed somewhat unexpectedly. So someone trudged out in the snow and cold to cherry pick the best find in the bunch. I only wish I had gotten a photo. Wonder where she is tonight?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry she's safe. All I can say is that I've found the love of my life. She's pretty, she doesn't say no, and she keeps her mouth shut.

[looking over at her] "Do you have anything you want to say baby?"



.....exactly.

Jim Brochowski said...

I always knew the anonymous commenter had to be a poor lonely soul.

So glad he found a companion. ;-)

Seriously, I too wish you had a photo. Far too often we miss on these photo-ops.

I'm forever forgetting that my phone is a camera too. Duh Jim!

Sorry 'bout your restaurant.