Friday, November 28, 2008

Flat

*All Names and DaTes Have Been Changed

Earlier this week while leaving for work, I noticed that one of my tires looked dangerously low--and I did the worst thing ever. I drove on it anyway. Actually, I made P come out and look at it first. He didn't seem too worried about it and said he'd put air in it "later." Because P and I celebrated our 5th anniversary just last week (hooray!) I know that for "later" to happen, I will have to nag him for at least a week until I finally get him by painting a fairly graphic picture of how the tire will pop, I'll skid off the road, land in a ditch out of sight and survive only as long as my half-empty water bottles and unopened McDonald's BBQ packets will allow.

As a side note, you should know that P's idea of car maintenance is suspect. He once let all four tires on our old Corolla blow out individually because "it didn't make sense" to replace all 4 at the same time. Seriously. Who does that? He even had to change one in the Hocking Hills during a snowstorm while wearing a suit. For the record, I did not feel sorry for him. I just hoped it knocked some sense into him. To date, no such luck.

Back to my story. I made it to work, but at lunchtime noticed that the tire was almost completely flat. So I drove it to a tire place close to my work to see if they could look at it for me. I walked inside and was greeted by a gentleman who asked if I had an appointment. Our conversation went something like this:

Him: "Do you have an appointment?"

Me (with a big smile, because I almost always smile when I greet people):
"No, I have a flat and was wondering if you could check it out for me."

Him: "We're booked pretty solid until 5 today."

Me: "Okay?"

Him: "I suppose I could see if we could fit it in, but I don't know. We're booked until 5."

Me: "Okaaaayyyy. Can I leave it and you can just get to it if you can?"

Him: "We are just absolutely booked until 5."

Me: No words, just looking around in confusion for someone else who might be able to decipher this whole booked until 5 code. At that moment, another employee walked in.

Him #1: "Aren't we just absolutely booked from now until 5?"

Him #2: At first, no words, just the expression of wide eyes, an exaggerated breath of air and raised eyebrows. You know the look. "We are booked until 5."

Me: "Okaaaayyyy. So should I take it somewhere else?"

Him #2: "Well, it would have helped if you would have had an appointment."

Enough. I never do this, but...

Me, rather loudly: "I know. But I didn't plan on getting a flat tire today. I would have loved to make an appointment if I had known though. Sorry!"

I think I might have thrown my arms up in the air too. Really, my exasperation was a result of not being told my options. It's fine if you are booked solid until 5, but quit telling me that and let's move on to the next step. Do I leave my keys and come back later? Should I make an appointment for the first open slot at 5? Should I go somewhere else? Let's move on to the problem solving portion of the conversation!

To my surprise and embarrassment, it worked.

Him #2: "It's just with the holidays, people are traveling a lot so they're bringing in their cars for work. We're just really busy."

Me: "That's fine, just tell me what I should do. Should I take it somewhere else?"

Him #2: "Can you leave the keys here and come back later? We'll call you when it's done."

I handed over the keys and got a ride back to work. A few hours later, I called to check on the progress. They were just getting it into the garage, but by the time I got there it would probably be ready. I arrived, waited around for a bit, then was handed my keys and told I was ready to go. I followed Him #2 out to the cash register, but he waived me away.

Him #2: "Nope. This one's on me."

Me: "Thank you, but no. I'm going to pay."

Him #2: "No, no. Seriously. It's been taken care of."

Me: "I'm going to pay."

Him #2: "No, just think of us when you need new tires."

I shrugged my shoulders, said thanks one more time and left. It felt weird though. Did he waive my payment because I complained? Do complainers get more attention? Hmm. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I've often heard my mother, a middle school teacher, lament how her trouble makers sometimes get more of her attention than her well-behaved students. It bothers her quite a bit because, well, it's not fair. I suppose it's a little different because these kids aren't complaining, they're just acting out. But I also suppose, whether they realize it or not, they know that when they're bad, they get more attention. So they continue to be bad.

And it's the same with complainers. I've seen complainers in action in stores, restaurants (although the complainer is risking a little something extra in their food), at the airport, at work. Everywhere. What makes me sick is that the complainer most likely gets his/her way, even if it's ridiculous. I've been in a group with a complainer and when the complaining starts, I want to bolt for the nearest exit.

Bottom line: I don't want to be a complainer! I want to live in a world where being nice gets you good service. Where patience and a smile open doors (and fix flat tires). But, but...I just got free car service because I was rude. Is this really the world we live in? Where people respond more to rudeness than kindness? Yuck! For me, if paying meant erasing my tiny outburst, I would have paid double. So I'm sticking with kindness. How about you?

3 comments:

Netter said...

I've been in customer service all my life and I try to reward the nice ones. And the more someone complains, the less likely I am to give them what they want. Of course if I have a legitimate beef, I'll be the first one to speak up (and hopefully get free stuff!). Keep being nice, except when you have to!

Anonymous said...

Whatever it takes to get free service!

Anonymous said...

Loved this! It's my favorite so far.I have many of these encounters myself, but I've chalked it up to where I live. Maybe I can start my own blog!
Keep 'em coming!