Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Safety Officer Goes for a Zip

Most people who know me understand that I most definitely do not have a daredevil personality.  P, however, is always finding new things for us to get into.  Whitewater rafting, cliff jumping, emergency surgery in a foreign country--he's not afraid of much.  Which is fine, except that he tries to get me to participate in these activities with him.  It never ends well (I slipped down a hill trying to rope swing and got thrown from a whitewater rafting boat) but he keeps trying, God love him.  

This past Saturday I showed him an article I read about a new zip line in Hocking Hills.  I was suggesting it as an activity for him and his buddies, but five minutes later he had us booked for a Sunday tour.  Smart kid, that P.  Didn't give me long enough to back out.  So Sunday afternoon we packed up and headed down to the Hocking Hills Canopy Tours.  Much to my surprise, I had an awesome time.  Me, the Safety Officer, had a great time zipping between treestands 60 feet in the air, for 3 hours with no emergency exit.  In fact, I can't wait to do it again.  Here are some pictures of our tour.  Let me know what you think:
 
Here we are before walking across the bridge to the first zipline.  I have that look on my face that says "He's really going to make me do this.  Crap."  Really, it's behind the smile.  And under the hardhat. 

This is one of the swinging bridges we had to cross.  Surprisingly, it's one of the things that scared me the most.  I thought I would have trouble with the actual ziplining, but it was the heights that got to me.  After crossing this bridge, I hugged the tree while taking long deep breaths--I was actually nauseous.

This is me coming in for a landing and actually having fun!

  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Hand Luke would never go zip lining.

Netter said...

As our family's unofficial safety officer myself, I have to congratulate you on taking the leap! I'm too much of a chicken.
Would you ever do it again, or was once enough?

Alia parker said...

I love Body Rafting so much. Whenever I get leisure time I walk for an adventure.