Saturday, February 16, 2008

I Have Questions

Driving home from work yesterday, I found myself behind a white Lexus SUV with a license plate that read KNY CSNY. It took me a second to realize it meant Kenny Chesney, the Jimmy Buffet of country music. I smiled because I like the Ches and I love figuring out vanity plates--the little traveling puzzles give me something to do on my 60-mile roundtrip commute each day.

But then I began to wonder about the plates. Why just KNY CSNY? Why not CSNY FAN or KNY ROCKS? As a huge Lionel Richie fan, if I decided to get vanity plates as a declaration of my fan-ship, they would say LVE U LINL, RCHE RLS or just YUM (trust me, people would know exactly who I was referencing). But just having the name Kenny Chesney on the back of a car is kind of odd. Does this person, or couple, refer to their Lexus as Kenny Chesney like most people refer to their car by the make or model? Instead of "Let's take the Ford" or "How many miles does the Corolla have on it?" it's "We're taking the kids to the movies. We better take the Kenny Chesney." Am I making any sense? I'm just wondering why there is a lack of action or declaration.

Furthermore, I'm making the assumption that the Lexus is a new car and the plates were carried over from the F-350 when it was traded in for the SUV. Ok, that's a sweeping statement. I just don't know many Lexus-type people who flaunt their love of country music.

So it seems I was behind an anomaly, a car with temporary plates or maybe even Kenny himself. Who knows? I just thought I'd share my questions.

0 comments: