Monday, August 18, 2008

Making Others 100% More Awkward Since 1979

I like to think that God blessed me with some special talents in this life.  And you know what?  He did, He just didn't give me any conventional talents.  While it turns out that I can't play the piano a lick, keep a plant alive for longer than a week or speak French after 4 years of classes, I can turn a normal interaction into the most awkward situation in a matter of seconds.  Here's an example of me ending a phone conversation today with a potential work partner:


Him:  "So I should follow-up with you in about a month?"

Me:  "Yes, that will work."

Him:  "Ok, I look forward to talking with you then."

Me:  "Yes, call me.  A month should be good."

Silence.

Me:  "So, call me around then and we might be ready to move forward.  You know, hopefully, if we like it."

Him:  "Ok, I'll be calling you."

Me:  "Ok.  I mean, that should be good.  I don't see why it wouldn't be.  Unless, of course . . . you know, just call."

Him:  "Ok, thanks for your time."

Me:  "Thanks for your time."

Him:  "You, too."

See what I did there?  I totally threw him off.  By the end of the conversation, he was dying for me to end the call.  Just waiting for me to tell him something like "have a great night" or "it was nice talking with you."  He had "you, too" all ready to go.  But instead, he probably hung up the phone, scratched his head and thought:  how did that happen?   

Bet he's counting down the days until he dials my number again.  "So glad you called!  I've been waiting for you to call.  Well, not waiting, you know.  But I was expecting your call, so I was thinking about it . . ."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your latest entry....

You too Maureen, you too

Anonymous said...

Maureen,
I was just reading through your blog, which by the way is very enjoyable, and I noticed these comments from this anonymous guy. Who is this guy? Is it just me or does he seem like some kind of stalker. If I was your mother I would be warning you about him.

Frank said...

http://fatherknowsshit.blogspot.com/

thought you might like this blog

Alison Kerr said...

Hey, I think I might have that same talent. How do I figure out if I have when I am so busy wondering what's best to say that I've no clue what I said after I put the phone down?