Saturday, March 29, 2008

Don't Get Caught Watching the Paint Dry

So this post is about a week late, but since March Madness only happens once a year I had to post it anyway. The headline above is a quote from my most favorite movie of all time: Hoosiers. And since it's March Madness time, I have the opportunity to catch Hoosiers on TV more often than any other time of the year. I laugh, I cry, I recoil at one of the worst kisses in movie history: Gene Hackman and Barbara Hershey locked in an emotionless and cold embrace.

The quote comes from Dennis Hopper when he is forced to take over the team after Gene Hackman gets himself thrown out of the game. He delivers the line in a way that shows the viewer his confidence is back, he's having fun and he just might be able to beat his alcoholism and re-establish his lost relationship with his son. Really, you can tell all that from one line and it makes me tear up every time.

Anyway, if anyone actually reads this blog, what's your favorite movie line and why?

1 comments:

Frank said...

"Listen here's the thing, if you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you are the sucker" - that was gonna be my first choice because, well, it's true in just about everything that you do...but I'm pretty partial to this one from Ocean's 13 told by Geroge Clooney character Danny Ocean to Andy Garcia's character Terry Benedict after Danny just pulled a fast one on top of Terry's...Terry - "You think this is funny?" - Danny - "Well Terry, it sure as shit ain't sad" and he walks out the door - I dunno it just is the perfect, 'I'm leaving, I've beaten you, again, and there isn't a damn thing you can do to touch me...'.